Skip to main content

Flydubai 1073: What Happened, What We Know, and What I Can’t Stop Thinking About





Last updated: October 1, 2026

I’ve been trying to piece this together all day.

Part of that is because I write about aviation and security stuff. Part of it is because the story is genuinely terrifying. And part of it is because the more details come out, the more it feels like a movie script that somebody decided to make real.

So here’s my attempt at a full write-up. I’m going to be clear about what I know, what I think I know, and what I’m still not sure about. Because this is still developing. Details are going to shift. Some of what’s being reported right now might turn out to be wrong. That’s just how these things go.

But if even half of it is true, Flydubai Flight 1073 is going to be studied for years.


What happened to Flydubai Flight 1073?

It was a Boeing 737 MAX 8. Dubai to Tel Aviv. Flydubai flight FZ1073. Some outlets are calling it Flydubai 1073. Same thing.

On board: 174 passengers, and a lot of them were Israeli citizens heading home. That detail matters later, because of where the plane ended up.

The captain was Smit Machchhar, an Indian national. The first officer was reportedly from Oman. I’ll come back to that, because it’s become a whole thing.

For the first couple of hours, it was a normal flight. People watched movies. Ate the sad little meal. Dozed off with their heads against the window. The kind of flight you take because it’s three hours and you just want to get where you’re going.

Nobody had any reason to think this one would be different.

About two hours in, according to multiple reports, the co-pilot attacked the captain.

With a knife.

Then with a crash axe.

If you don’t know what a crash axe is, it’s a small axe kept in the cockpit. It’s there for emergencies — if the crew needs to break out of the flight deck after a crash, or smash through something to get out. It’s not supposed to be used on people. But apparently that’s what happened.

The reports say the captain was stabbed repeatedly. I don’t know how you get a knife past Dubai security. I don’t know how you get a crash axe into a cockpit and use it without someone noticing. But according to the early accounts, that’s what went down.

The captain fought back. And during that struggle, the co-pilot apparently got control of the aircraft for a moment.

That’s when the plane went into a dive.


Flydubai 1073 timeline

The 737 dropped from 34,000 feet to roughly 17,000 feet in less than a minute.

Think about that for a second. That’s not a normal descent. That’s not a precautionary descent. That’s a plunge. Passengers later described it as the floor dropping out from under them. One person said they went from 30,000 feet to 15,000 feet in one minute. Another said they didn’t know if there was a pilot. Didn’t know if the pilot was alive. Didn’t know if anyone was talking to Israeli authorities.

The transponder broadcast two emergency codes in quick succession. First 7700. That’s the general emergency code. Then 7500.

7500 is the one that makes your blood run cold. It means unlawful interference. Hijacking.

Air traffic controllers in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Israel watched their screens. I can only imagine what that felt like. You see a squawk code change to 7500, and you know something has gone very, very wrong.

Here’s the part I keep coming back to.

After 9/11, we locked the cockpit doors. That was supposed to keep hijackers out. And it worked, mostly. But what happens when the threat is already inside?

The captain was bleeding. Barely conscious. Stabbed multiple times. And somehow, according to reports, he reached up and unlocked the cockpit door.

That’s it. That’s the whole ballgame.

If he doesn’t do that, I don’t think those passengers make it home. I don’t think we ever hear the name Smit Machchhar. I don’t think this story ends with everyone alive.

But he did. And people outside the door came in.

What happened in the cockpit?

Before that, though, the cabin was pure chaos.

Passengers screaming. No announcements. Nobody knew what was happening. The plane was bucking and shuddering. The overhead bins were rattling. People were crying. Children were crying. Some people assumed the brace position. Others just held on to whatever they could.

One passenger later said, “Throughout the flight, nobody told us anything because nobody knew anything. We didn’t know whether there was a pilot, whether the pilot was alive, or whether there was any contact with Israeli authorities.”

That kind of not-knowing is its own kind of terror. You’re trapped in a metal tube at 500 miles an hour, and the only people who can help you are behind a locked door you can’t see through.

And then the door opened.

Passengers and crew rushed the cockpit. According to reports, they found a scene out of a nightmare. The captain was on the floor, bleeding. The co-pilot was still fighting, still trying to do something — maybe crash the plane, maybe just cause as much damage as possible.

They subdued him. A passenger reportedly tackled him. Others helped restrain him.

And then — and this is the part that still feels impossible — two off-duty Flydubai pilots were on board, sitting in economy class.

What are the odds? Same airline. Same aircraft type. Just random passengers that day. One of them took the controls. The other helped manage the systems. Together they stabilized the plane and started coordinating with air traffic control for an emergency diversion.

A reserve Flydubai crew that was also on board took over and worked with controllers. The nearest suitable airport was Tabuk, in northwestern Saudi Arabia. The plane had already crossed briefly into Jordanian airspace before turning back toward Saudi Arabia.

Air traffic control at Tabuk got the distress call at 8:44 AM local time. By 9:45 AM, the 737 was on the ground.

Everyone on board was alive.

What happened to the passengers?

Tabuk is in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia does not have diplomatic relations with Israel. And many of the passengers were Israeli.

So imagine that. You’ve just survived a hijacking attempt. You’ve just been in a plane that went into a nosedive. You’re covered in sweat and probably crying. And you land in a country where you have no phone service, no internet, and no way to tell your family you’re alive.

Eventually, one passenger managed to get a signal and helped others set up eSIMs. People started sending messages home. I’m okay. That kind of thing.

Captain Machchhar and the co-pilot were both taken to a hospital. The captain had surgery. Later reports said he was stable. The co-pilot was also treated. I don’t know his current condition. I don’t know if he’s been charged. I don’t know what he’s said, if anything.

A replacement aircraft was sent to Tabuk. Around 5:40 PM local time, all 174 passengers departed for Tel Aviv. They landed at Ben Gurion Airport, where medical and support teams were waiting.

One passenger, visibly shaken, told reporters, “Some passengers got into the cockpit and saved the plane. She’s fine, thank God.”

That about sums it up.


Who was Captain Smit Machchhar?

He was the pilot flying that day. An Indian national. Experienced. According to reports, he was stabbed repeatedly during the attack but still managed to unlock the cockpit door, which allowed passengers and crew to intervene.

One official described it as using “the last moments of his energy” to do it.

I don’t know much else about him. I don’t know if he’s a father, a husband, a hobby pilot, whatever. But I know he saved 174 lives. That’s enough for now.


What we know about the investigation

Flydubai suspended all flights to and from Israel. That’s still in effect as far as I know. Israeli airlines have been operating rescue flights to get stranded passengers home.

Prime Minister Netanyahu addressed the nation and called it an attempted terrorist attack. He praised the “heroes on the flight from Dubai who demonstrated resourcefulness and courage.”

Transportation Minister Miri Regev demanded an investigation into whether Flydubai violated the 2020 aviation agreement between the UAE and Israel. That agreement requires flight crews to hold passports from countries that have diplomatic ties with Israel. Oman does not have diplomatic ties with Israel. So the question is: why was an Omani first officer on a flight to Tel Aviv?

Israel’s Shin Bet security agency sent a team to Dubai to coordinate. Saudi Arabia’s National Transport Safety Center launched its own investigation. Emirati and Israeli authorities are involved too. The black boxes will be analyzed. The cockpit voice recorder will be listened to. Witnesses will be interviewed.

It’s going to take a while.


What remains unconfirmed

How did a knife get through security?

How did a crash axe get into the cockpit and get used as a weapon?

Why was an Omani first officer on a flight to Israel when the aviation agreement reportedly prohibits that?

Did anyone vet him? Was there any intelligence? Was there any warning?

What was the motive? Reports have mentioned jihadist ideology. I can’t verify that. I’m not sure anyone can yet. It might be true. It might be more complicated. Investigations will tell.

And then there’s the bigger question: how do you stop an insider threat? You can screen passengers. You can take their shoes off. You can make them throw away their water bottles. But what do you do when the person in the cockpit is the threat?

That’s the uncomfortable truth here. We hardened the cockpit after 9/11. We locked the door. And in this case, that almost killed everyone, because the threat was already inside.

I don’t have a solution. I’m not sure anyone does. Better psychological screening. Better intelligence. Better vetting. Better protocols for when a crew member becomes a threat. Maybe all of the above. But “lock the door” clearly isn’t enough.

I keep coming back to the people.

Captain Smit Machchhar, stabbed repeatedly, bleeding on the floor of his own cockpit, using what one official called “the last moments of his energy” to unlock the door that saved everyone.

The two off-duty Flydubai pilots who were just trying to get to work. They stepped into a cockpit full of blood and chaos and landed the plane.

The passengers who ran toward danger instead of away from it. Who tackled the co-pilot. Who helped restrain him. Who held each other together in the darkness of a plunging aircraft.

I don’t know their names. Most of them probably don’t want their names out there. But they did something extraordinary. And I hope they get more than a passing mention in the investigation reports.

I’ve seen a lot of reporting that I can’t independently confirm. I’ve seen claims about the co-pilot’s motives. I’ve seen claims about what exactly happened in the cockpit. I’ve seen timelines that don’t quite line up.

I don’t know if the knife was smuggled through security or if it was somehow already on the plane. I don’t know if the crash axe was standard equipment or if it was brought on board. I don’t know if there were any warning signs that were missed.

I also don’t know what happens next. Will Flydubai resume flights to Israel? Will the aviation agreement be renegotiated? Will there be arrests? Will there be charges? Will the co-pilot survive? Will he talk?

I’ll update this if I learn more. If you know something I don’t, tell me. I’m not too proud to correct myself.


Latest updates

- **October 1, 2026:** Flydubai flights to Israel remain suspended. Israeli airlines operating rescue flights.
- **October 1, 2026:** Captain Smit Machchhar reported in stable condition after surgery.
- **October 1, 2026:** Saudi Arabia’s National Transport Safety Center launches investigation.
- **October 1, 2026:** Shin Bet team dispatched to Dubai.

*This section will be updated as new information becomes available.*

FAQ

**Did Flydubai 1073 get hijacked?**
The transponder broadcast squawk code 7500, which indicates unlawful interference. Reports say a co-pilot attacked the captain and attempted to crash the plane. Passengers and crew subdued him. It is being treated as an attempted hijacking and terror attack.

**Where did Flydubai 1073 land?**
The flight diverted to Tabuk Airport in northwestern Saudi Arabia. It landed safely at approximately 9:45 AM local time.

**Was anyone hurt on Flydubai 1073?**
Captain Smit Machchhar was stabbed repeatedly and required surgery. The co-pilot was also injured and treated. No passengers were reported seriously injured.

**Has Flydubai suspended flights to Israel?**
Yes. Flydubai suspended all flights to and from Israel following the incident. Israeli airlines are operating rescue flights.

**What is squawk code 7500?**
7500 is the international transponder code for unlawful interference, commonly known as a hijacking code. It alerts air traffic control that the aircraft is being hijacked.

Sources

I’m working from multiple reports. I’ll list the main ones here. If you see something that contradicts what I’ve written, let me know.

- Reports from Israeli and international media
- Statements from the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office
- Statements from Flydubai
- Saudi National Transport Safety Center
- Indian Embassy in Saudi Arabia

*I’ll add links and more specific sourcing as I verify them.*

I don’t have a bow to put on this.

It’s a developing story. Details will change. Investigations will take time. Some of what I wrote above might turn out to be wrong.

But for now, the main thing is this: 174 people are alive who probably shouldn’t be. A captain who was stabbed repeatedly still managed to unlock a door. Two off-duty pilots who were just trying to get to work ended up saving a planeload of strangers.

That’s worth sitting with.

Anyway. That’s where I’m at. I’ll keep watching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing at the Crossroads: China’s Case for the World That Talks

UNITED NATIONS – The United Nations General Assembly has seen many presidential speeches in its long and storied history. But when China’s Deputy President Han Zheng stood to deliver his message during the 81 st session, he was focused on the present rather than the future – and, more specifically, on the perils of abandoning the status quo. His address came as fighting erupts around the world, trade wars limit the growth of the world economy, and the gap between the Global South and the First World becomes more and more apparent. VP Han believes that the time has come for all nations to rally together to maintain the institutions that foster international security and mutual development. Multilateralism as a Choice China’s vice-president, in his speech to the UN General Assembly, made the case for multilateral engagement as an option on the table. VP Han believes that the system which has emerged after WWII and the principles enshrined in the UN Charter should be defended at all costs...

Iran’s Nuclear Fears: Escalating Tensions and U.S. Accountability in the Israel-Iran Standoff

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned the international community on May 22, 2025, in a letter to the United Nations, claiming that the United States would be legally liable if Israel attacked Iran's nuclear facilities. This was said amid reports of an imminent Israeli attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, heightening fears of a wider regional war. As the U.S. and Iran sit down for delicate nuclear negotiations in Rome, the threat of war hangs over diplomatic efforts and could spark a volatile escalation in the Middle East. This article looks at recent developments, the reasons behind Iran's accusations, and the global implications for stability under Trump. The Trigger: Israel's Alleged Strike Preparations Strains between Israel and Iran have been bubbling along for years over Iran's nuclear program, which Israel perceives as a threat to its very existence. Recent American intelligence, CNN reported on May 21, 2025, indicates that Israel is currently gearin...

Echoes on the Steppe: The Anatomy of the Russo-Ukrainian War

The Wound That Never Healed For Russia, the story doesn’t start in 2022. It starts in 1991, when the Soviet Union fell apart. And for a lot of Russians, that wasn’t liberation. It was humiliation. An empire that had beaten Napoleon and Hitler, that had put the first man in space, suddenly collapsed. Fifteen republics went their own way. Russia lost a quarter of its territory, half its population, and its status as a superpower. Ukraine wasn’t just another republic. It was the heartland. Kyivan Rus is where Russian civilization began. Crimea was Russian for centuries. Sevastopol was the home of the Black Sea Fleet. The idea that Ukraine would just… leave? That was hard for a lot of Russians to swallow. Putin called it the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the 20th century. He meant it. But for a while, Moscow tried to make it work. They signed treaties. They recognized Ukraine’s borders. They even gave up their nuclear weapons in exchange for a promise—the Budapest Memorandum—that Ru...